Monday, January 25, 2016

What are a grauntie and a gruncle?

Sometimes new words spring up in our language. Most are flash in the pan types - does anyone say "gnarly" anymore? But I hope "grauntie" and "gruncle" are words that never disappear.





What are graunties and gruncles?

Graunties and gruncles are great aunts and great uncles! 

I remember as a child referring to my grandma's siblings as "great aunt Alvena" or "great uncle Leonard." How cool it would have been to call them grauntie Alvena and gruncle Leonard. It would have added a level of familiarity and "coolness" to my perception of them.


I'm a great aunt now to three darling little great nieces and a great nephew. You can be sure I'm going to be Grauntie Gable to all four of them!

Now, if we can just come up with  cool words for great niece and great nephew. Griece and grephew just don't cut it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment